Next Steps after Sexual Assault
We are here to help you when you are not sure what to do next.
It’s hard to know what to do, how to feel, or what your options are after a sexual assault. Please know that you’re not alone. Below are some things to keep in mind. If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, call 911.
- Your safety is important. Are you in a safe place? If you’re not feeling safe, consider reaching out to someone you trust for support. You don’t have to go through this alone.
- What happened was not your fault. Something happened to you that you didn’t want to happen—and that’s not OK.
- Call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800.656.HOPE (4673).You’ll be connected to a trained staff member from a local sexual assault service provider in your area. They will direct you to the appropriate local health facility that can care for survivors of sexual assault.
When you call the National Sexual Assault Hotline, a staff member will walk you through the process of getting help at your own pace. You can also visit online.rainn.org to chat anonymously. Support specialists can also provide information on topics you might have questions about, including:
To provide professional, compassionate, culturally competent, and timely collection of forensic evidence for our patients. We respond to the local emergency department in the event a victim of rape presents.
What is a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE)?
- Provides services in a manner that avoids further trauma to the sexual assault survivor in the healthcare environment.
- Provides a timely medical/legal exam to collect forensic evidence according to state and national protocols.
- Provides a consistent caregiver throughout the forensic examination.
- Provides consistent discharge instructions and referrals for follow-up care and counseling.
- Operates as part of the community Sexual Assault Response Team (SART), along with Law Enforcement and Advocacy.
- Provides 24-hour services
- The International Association of Forensic Nurses website has several more resources here.